Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Thornton Winterfest

Our city puts on a Winterfest every year and it is a weekend full of fun holiday activites. We weren't able to go last year so I was looking forward to checking it out this year. It is held at the rec center (same place we did Chase's swim lessons) and Friday night was the night we chose to go. I really wanted to go this night because it was the start of the Winterfest and Santa was "Coming to Town" and they were doing the lighting of the tree. I knew Chase would love that considering he has fallen in love with Santa this year. I told him the night before that Santa was coming to town and he kept saying it over and over - love it! "Mama - Santa coming to town!"

As we drove to the Winterfest I wasn't sure of what to expect - but I definitely did not expect to be as pleasantly surprised as we were! We pulled in and Craig and I were both blown away with how big it was - tons of tents and things to do. I sort of felt like I was in a movie as we were walking around (like the winter carnival in Steel Magnolias if that means anything to anyone :0) ). They had a huge food area, ice carvings, a whole Santa's Village with houses the kids could either walk through or look in the windows, TONS of trees decorated, a tree decorating contest, firepits and of course Santa's house where you could take pictures with him.

The festival kicked off with some young kids singing carols and then the Mayor introduced Santa, Mrs Claus and 2 elves to town! Chase was so excited to see Santa up on stage! Then everyone there counted down from 10 as the tree lighting took place. It was amazing and magical in it's small town feeling kind of way and I love that this is where we live!

Here are some pictures from the night...we met up with Tricia, Chris & Landon at the festival. It was so fun to share in the excitement with good friends.

Ice Carving - Santa's sleigh and reindeer - incredible!



Craig & Chase staying bundled up - did I mention that it was freezing that night? We even had rain/sleet for about 10 minutes which made it even colder. But hey - it added to the ambience as we rushed to run around the huge firepits to stay warm :)


The kids singing right before Santa made his appearance!


Santa - bad picture but oh well...


Family pic right after the tree was lit


Landon & Chase walking around Santa's Village


Looking inside the "reindeer veterinary clinic" - too cute :)


Chase & I with Tricia & Landon in front of one of the firepits

1 comment:

The Frisbees said...

Wow, that looks awesome. What a fun thing for Chase to see.