There are so many things in life that we just take for granted that we know how to do... you never really think, "hmm, how did I learn that?" Well, you truly start to appreciate all the basic life skills your parents taught you when you start raising your own kids! Thanks Mom & Dad :) Tying your shoes for instance - kids are not born knowing how to do this! Lol
For some reason, I had avoided teaching this to Chase and he has been wearing velcro shoes for years so that he could do them on his own. Well, for kindergarten I bought him 2 new pairs of shoes and they both had laces. We would have to tie them for him everyday and then just a few weeks ago he said he wanted to do it himself and asked me to teach him!
One day while I was on maternity leave we spent an hour after school working on this task. I was happily surprised at how quickly Chase picked it up and learned! I did the one loop, wrap around and through. I still don't understand the bunny ears - that seems so hard to me! Chase picked it up so quick and from that moment forward he now ties and double knots his shoes himself everyday.
The cutest part is, once he learned, he said "Now I am really a big boy!"....I didn't realize he was waiting so long to check mark this skill off his own personal list! Chase gets dressed a lot of the time by himself and he will surprise us
on weekends by waking up and getting ready all on his own and then
coming downstairs, it obviously bothered him that he needed help with
his shoes still. I didn't know it was so important to him - good thing we spent the time to learn it :)
Showing me his shoes the next morning when he got ready for school by himself!

No comments:
Post a Comment