Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Paci - Free!!!

I think we have beaten one of Chase's last baby to toddler transitions... getting rid of the paci!! I have been dreading this day because ever since Chase was born he has been a paci baby and has loved it and always needed it to sleep. Around 2 years old we took it away during the day but he was still using it for naps and nighttime. His daycare got rid of it so we were down to him only using it for naps at home and nighttime. We had tried a few times to put him to bed without it to see if he would forget about it but that always failed miserably and he would start crying and want it.

Truthfully we have put it off so long because I don't think Craig and I were ready for it. I think we have done a good job with him over the last few months transitioning to a big boy bed and also potty training him so the paci was our final project (for now!)

Last weekend Brad & Melissa had told us that they had their oldest, Austin, "mail" his to a baby who needed it and it worked for them. I had heard of this before and thought.. what the heck..let's try it!

So yesterday Chase was sick so he wanted his paci all day and I gave in because he had been throwing up and had a fever and I just felt so bad for the guy. About 4pm we were out back playing and he was holding it and then putting it in his mouth and I was sick of it so I said, "Chase you aren't going to be able to have that much longer." Here's how our conversation went...
Chase: "Why"
Me: "Because you are a big boy and it's time to mail your paci to another baby who needs it. Just like Brady needs one - there is another baby who needs yours."
Chase: "So they stop crying?"
Me: "Yup - you would help make them feel better"
Chase: "Ok"

WAIT....WHAT??!! Really that's it? After 3 years? I wasn't believing anything yet. So Craig got home and I told him what was going on. We decided to go with it and have Chase put his paci in an envelope and write on the envelope to the baby. Then he wanted to ride his tractor down to the mailboxes and mail it. Here was our journey...

Bye bye Paci! (don't mind what is on tv.. I think it was Oprah doing something about nuns - haha)


Putting it in the envelope


Writing a note to the baby



Finished product! It says "Dear Baby, Here is my paci to help you stop crying. Love, Chase"


Putting it in the mailbox! I didn't get a picture of him riding his big John Deere tractor, which was pretty dang cute since the envelope was tucked to the side of him, but you get the point.



After we mailed it we told Chase we could run to Kohl's and he could pick out a toy since he did such a nice thing. He loved this and picked out a cool motorcycle toy. Craig had fun playing with it to :)


So proud!


So when it was time for bed last night this was the real test. He asked for his paci but we reminded him he gave it away. Once in bed he told us "I gave my paci to the baby. I don't need it anymore." Yay!!!! Then he fell asleep! We were so proud!

Good job Chase - you are such a sweetheart and melted our hearts during this milestone :)

2 comments:

The Frisbees said...

YAY - such a great story. Wasn't it amazing to see him figure that out and be OK without it? I almost can't remember the days/nights of the paci. :)

Kasia said...

Wow, that is awesome!!! We've been going through the process of phasing out the paci too - so far, no paci during the daytime, just for sleeping. I'm a little nervous about the next step!